wow! this seems really cool, im a big fan!
can you export to midi? and if not, what can it export to?
Pixel Vision 8: Tune
A downloadable tool for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Pixel Vision 8: Tune leverages Pixel Vision OS's sound tools to offer musicians a self-contained sound creation studio. There are also tools for editing a project's sound effects, patterns, and full-length songs. For those learning 8-bit sound design, Tune has a random sound effect and song generator.
Generate Sound Effects
Included is a powerful sound effects generator. There are templates for commonly used sound effects as well as musical instruments for the Music Tool. You can configure each sound effect's properties by hand and export them as WAV files (coming soon) to use in any game.
A Powerful Tracker
The tracker allows you to arrange, edit, and play your song compositions. Use the built-in keys to write custom patterns from scratch or have the random music generator to do it for you. There is a song editor which allows you to arrange patterns and export the final song as a WAV file (coming soon). Tune saves song data as easy to edit JSON files.
A Retro Sound Studio
Pixel Vision OS which turns Pixel Vision 8 into an 8-bit computer is built-in. You'll get a dedicated workspace folder on your computer where you can access anything you create. The best part is that your work is saved as JSON files and exported as WAV files for any game project you are designing.
Pixel Vision 8: Tune is a powerful sound effect and chip-tune creation studio with the following features:
- Support for Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Full keyboard and mouse support.
- Run in scalable window mode or fullscreen.
- Use as a stand-alone sound effect and music package for creating authentic chip-tune music.
- Customize the hardware limitations for each project.
- Export your work as WAV files (coming soon).
- Support for mounting a Workspace folder from your computer to make sharing files between the two easier.
- Includes Pixel Vision OS's sound and music editors.
- Easily share your creations with others.
- Dedicated Discord Server for community, help and sharing work.
Pixel Vision 8: Tune is still in development. Currently, it is offered as "early access" and may contain bugs, unexpectedly crash, or have missing/incomplete features. You'll receive free updates for the life of the project.
This marks the alpha release of Pixel Vision 8. You can now log bugs specific to Pixel Vision OS here or to the core MonoGame Runner here. There is also a dedicated Discord Server for community, help and sharing work. Below are the issues that have been addressed in this release:
Pixel Vision OS (v2.3.0)
- Update new radio button design
- Need to configure new chip template values
- Need to display system paths correctly in workspace explorer tool
- Need to add total songs to chip editor
- Need to limit disks when workspace exists
- Need to expose song total in the Chip Editor
- Create menu option to lock specs
- Chip editor doesn't update menu items based on state
- Need to enable chip picker
- Create chip editors for Tune/Draw
- Disable input field when losing focus
- Fix image preview sprites
- New Sound and New Music generating blank JSON files
- Malformed JSON in template
- Can't run disks from disks
- Need to show .pv8 files as disks
- Disks are not saving to the bios
MonoGame Runner (v0.9.3)
Join The Club
The Fantasy Console Club focuses on making retro 8-bit games with Pixel Vision 8. The club offers access to exclusive tutorials, demos, and tools as well as a free copy of Pixel Vision 8.
In order to download this tool you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $3.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
wow! this seems really cool, im a big fan!
never mind, i just reread the description
Can I hear a few sample songs before I decide to download?
Good suggestion. Right now file export isn't complete so once I get that in I'll add some samples to download.
None of the values I'm editing in tracker are saving. Most of these buttons are useless.
How do I even remove notes?
I'd love to join a Discord server for PV8 so I can get more help and contribute. I see a lot of potential and this seems like a fun tool to use.
I just released version v0.9.1a which address the issues you brought up and I cleaned up a bunch of other features in the tool.
Does this already comes with the Pixel 8 Draw and Tune built in or are those separate tools?
Pixel Vision Make contains all of the tools. Draw and Tune are one-off builds that only contain the tools you need for making pixel art or chiptune sound effect and music. They are for people that don't want to make full PV8 games but still want to use some of the tools for their games.