Pixel Vision 8 is a Fantasy Console that simulates imaginary 8-bit hardware. Out of the box, Pixel Vision 8: Make contains a built-in copy of Pixel Vision OS which turns PV8 into an 8-bit computer. It includes all the tools you need to create Pixel Vision 8 games! Make is for game jams, prototyping ideas, and learning how to code 8-bit games.
Includes Pixel Vision OS
Pixel Vision 8: Make contains a built-in copy of Pixel Vision OS plus extra tools for creating PV8 games. Make also includes support for a virtual drive to manage and organize your games and projects.
Design Your Own System
You can customize the cartage, graphics and sound options for each of your Pixel Vision 8 game. There is drag and drop support for built-in template from classic 8-bit consoles as well. You can mix and match different system templates to create your dream Fantasy Console specs!
All New Music Generator
The built-in Music Tool includes a powerful song generator. Merely click on the magic wand and Pixel Vision OS takes care of the rest. You can then go through and clean things up or make a song entirely from scratch with the virtual keys and tracker.
Use the custom Tilemap Tool to streamline designing your game's levels. You can even set up flags making collision and object placement easier. There are even more tools only available in Make that help turn Pixel Vision 8 into a powerful 8-bit game development environment.
Pixel Vision 8 is a powerful fantasy console with the following features:
- Support for Mac, Windows, and Linux with Xbox, Windows 10, iOS and Android Support coming soon.
- Full controller, keyboard and mouse support.
- Run in scalable window mode or fullscreen.
- Play, Make and Share PV8 games with a built-in version of Pixel Vision OS.
- Support for mounting a Workspace folder from your computer to make sharing files between the two easier.
- Includes additional editors such as the Music, Tilemap and Font Tools.
- Customize the hardware limitations for each game with the built-in Chip Tool.
- Code games in Lua with an easy to learn set of APIs.
- Share your games with others.
Pixel Vision 8 is still in development. Currently, it is offered as "early access" and may contain bugs, unexpectedly crash, or be missing features.
This marks the alpha release of Pixel Vision 8. You can now log bugs specific to Pixel Vision OS here or to the core MonoGame Runner here. There is also a dedicated Discord Server for community, help and sharing work. Below are the issues that have been addressed in this release:
Pixel Vision OS (v2.3.0)
MonoGame Runner (v0.9.3)
Join The Club
The Fantasy Console Club focuses on making retro 8-bit games with Pixel Vision 8. The club offers access to exclusive tutorials, demos, and tools as well as a free copy of Pixel Vision 8.