Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator Free
A downloadable Fantasy Game Console for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Pick a system, code in Lua and use built-in tools to make your own games!
Pixel Vision 8's core philosophy is to teach retro game development with streamlined workflows. It enables designing games around limited resolutions, colors, sprites, sound and memory. It is ideal for game jams, prototyping ideas or having fun.
The Game Creator is a full development environment for authoring 8-bit games and is built on top of the open source Pixel Vision SDK framework. It contains project management, asset creation, and coding/debugging tools. This all in one solution enables complete end to end development allowing anyone to create desktop games, share them and even build custom tools.
Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator is offered for free and supports the following features:
- Supports loading, playing and editing of .pv8 (Games), .pvs (System Templates) and .pvt (Tools) files.
- Create games in Lua with an easy to learn API optimized for tile based games.
- Open workflow, allowing you to edit game code (Lua), art (png) or system limits (JSON) with any external editor.
- Build tools for PV8 to fit your workflow and needs.
- Easily share games with others as .pv8 (.zip) files.
Pro Features (Paid Early Access)
To fully unlock the Game Creator's potential, you can purchase the pro bundle. Here's what you receive:
- Fully featured color editor. Preview your project's colors, modify them and save them to an external png.
- Sprite preview and edit tool allow you to see the sprites stored in memory and modify them. You can also compress existing sprites into an external .png.
- SFX generator for making your own sound effects in game projects. You'll have access to templates for different sound effects with manual SFX property customization coming soon.
- More tools on the way! Be the first to use the new tile map editor and music generator.
Pixel Vision 8 Pro is currently still in development and offered as part of a paid early access program. If you want access to the early alpha builds, simply pay for the pro features. If you buy the pro tools and early access now, you will still to get updates and new, pro, only features after the free version is released.
Pixel Vision 8 Free is currently still in active development. Here are some of the recent changes that were made to it:
V0.7.8 Alpha - Experimental
This is an untested build of the Game Creator allowing developers to test out early features going into v0.8.0a. Make sure to backup your workspace before using. For this update, you should create an entirely new Workspace folder. Find the default location and remove the old bios and core workspace, then start up v0.7.6 to let it recreate the workspace from scratch.
- Rebuilt Workspace Explorer Tool and underlying file system from scratch. Now all of the features of the GameCreator are available from the Workspace including launching games, editing files and managing the trash.
- Built-in art packs, demos, tools, and systems are now easier to find in the Workspace Explorer in their directories.
- Removed DisplaySize() and OverscanBorder() from the GameChip. Replacing with a single Display() call wich optional bool for visible display size.
- ReadProductName() and ReadVersion() are now SystemName() and SystemVersion().
- Removed VisibleBounds() from Lua API.
- You can now create PV8 native Vector and Rect in Lua by calling NewVector(x,y) and NewRect(x,y,w,h).
- Gif recording is now enabled in the editor by hitting Ctrl + 3.
- New export feature in Workspace Explorer. When in the Sandbox, click the build button to generate out a compressed game file and WebGL build. Future support for Win, Mac, and Linux coming in the next build.
- Fixed Lua file collisions allowing you to override default Lua files in the project. If a similar named Lua file is in the game's project, it will be used instead of built-in system files.
- Cleaned up the Lua bridges and refactored EditorBridge to be part of the RunnerService and GameEditor. These new APIs will be documented in a future build.
- There were over 37 issues resolved in this build. You can track all of the open issues on the Github issue page and file any bugs you see there as well.
- The new file system is untested and may not work as expected or crash the Game Creator. Please make sure to back up any projects while using this build and modifying the Workspace from inside of the Game Creator itself.
- Restoring files from the trash has been disabled.
- You can now keep folders in your workspace instead of .pv8 zip files. This features is experimental and may not work as expected.
Click download now to get access to the following files: