Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator Pro
A downloadable Fantasy Game Console for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Pick a system, code in Lua and use built-in tools to make your own games!
Pixel Vision 8's core philosophy is to teach retro game development with streamlined workflows. It enables designing games around limited resolutions, colors, sprites, sound and memory. It is ideal for game jams, prototyping ideas or having fun.
The Game Creator is a full development environment for authoring 8-bit games and is built on top of the open source Pixel Vision SDK framework. It contains project management, asset creation, and coding/debugging tools. This all in one solution enables complete end to end development allowing anyone to create desktop games, share them and even build custom tools.
Pro Features (Paid Beta Access)
To fully unlock the Game Creator's potential, you can purchase the pro bundle. Here's what you receive:
- Supports loading, playing and editing of .pv8 (Games), .pvs (System Templates) and .pvt (Tools) files.
- Create games in Lua with an easy to learn API optimized for tile based games.
- Open workflow, allowing you to edit game code (Lua), art (png) or system limits (JSON) with any external editor.
- Build tools for PV8 to fit your workflow and needs.
- Easily share games with others as .pv8 (.zip) files.
- Fully featured color editor. Preview your project's colors, modify them and save them to an external png.
- Sprite preview and edit tool allow you to see the sprites stored in memory and modify them. You can also compress existing sprites into an external .png.
- SFX generator for making your own sound effects in game projects. You'll have access to templates for different sound effects with manual SFX property customization coming soon.
- More tools on the way! Be the first to use the new tile map editor and music generator.
Free Version (Available Now)
If you are still undecided on joining early access for Game Creator Pro, you can get a free copy of the Game Creator without the color, sprite, tilemap, sound and music editors.
Pixel Vision 8 Pro is currently still in development and offered as part of a paid early access program. If you want access to the early alpha builds, simply pay for the pro features. If you buy the pro tools and early access now, you will still to get updates and new, pro, only features after the free version is released.
Pixel Vision 8 Pro is currently still in active development. Here are some of the recent changes that were made to it:
This is a stable build of the Game Creator marking the first beta release of Pixel Vision 8. Make sure to backup your workspace before using. For this update, you should create an entirely new Workspace folder. Find the default location and remove the old bios and core workspace, then start up v0.8.0 to let it recreate the workspace from scratch.
- Rebuilt import/export logic to better supporting single threaded parsing so the UI won’t lock up when performing a complex task.
- Fixed issue where save data for tools required Game Creator to run as admin on Windows. Tool save data is now located in the Workspace/Tmp folder during a user’s session and deleted when the Game Creator is shut down.
- Added an experimental Pico 8 importer. Supportings sprites, tilemap and copying over lua code. Will automatically create a Pico 8 template from a .p8 file in the game directory similar to how systems and art packs are handled.
- Added new Arduboy system template.
- Optimized GameChip API to better support new drawing API and to make all calls more consistent across the framework.
- Fixes to sound effect and music tools.
- Support for exporting music files to .wav. Exporting a song will go to the Workspace/Sandbox/Loops folder.
- Fixed bug with DrawSpriteBlock to support correct number of sprite columns.
- Added support for switching between layers in Tilemap Editor tool.
- Added new tile-color-offset.json file to change the color offset of tiles in the tilemap.
- Save settings from Song Generator between screens. Leverages the new built in tool saving feature.
- Fixed input fields that displayed -1.
- Added support for customizing mask color. By default any color set to #FF00FF will be ignore by the importer.
- There were over 91 issues resolved in this build. You can track all of the open issues on the Github issue page and file any bugs you see there as well.
- Restoring files from the trash has been disabled.
- You can now keep folders in your workspace instead of .pv8 zip files. This features is experimental and may not work as expected.
|Published||Sep 05, 2016|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Author||Pixel Vision 8|
|Tags||2D, 8-bit, fantasy-console, Game engine, Pixel Art, pixel-vision-8, pv8, sprites, Tilemap based tools|
|Mentions||Get ready for Ludum Dare: Game developme..., Your field guide to fantasy consoles|
In order to download this Fantasy Game Console you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $14.99 USD. You will get access to the following files: