Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator Pro
A downloadable Fantasy Game Console for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Pick a system, code in Lua and use built-in tools to make your own games!
Pixel Vision 8's core philosophy is to teach retro game development with streamlined workflows. It enables designing games around limited resolutions, colors, sprites, sound and memory. It is ideal for game jams, prototyping ideas or having fun.
The Game Creator is a full development environment for authoring 8-bit games and is built on top of the open source Pixel Vision SDK framework. It contains project management, asset creation, and coding/debugging tools. This all in one solution enables complete end to end development allowing anyone to create desktop games, share them and even build custom tools.
Pro Features (Paid Early Access)
To fully unlock the Game Creator's potential, you can purchase the pro bundle. Here's what you receive:
- Supports loading, playing and editing of .pv8 (Games), .pvs (System Templates) and .pvt (Tools) files.
- Create games in Lua with an easy to learn API optimized for tile based games.
- Open workflow, allowing you to edit game code (Lua), art (png) or system limits (JSON) with any external editor.
- Build tools for PV8 to fit your workflow and needs.
- Easily share games with others as .pv8 (.zip) files.
- Fully featured color editor. Preview your project's colors, modify them and save them to an external png.
- Sprite preview and edit tool allow you to see the sprites stored in memory and modify them. You can also compress existing sprites into an external .png.
- SFX generator for making your own sound effects in game projects. You'll have access to templates for different sound effects with manual SFX property customization coming soon.
- More tools on the way! Be the first to use the new tile map editor and music generator.
Free Version (Available Now)
If you are still undecided on joining early access for Game Creator Pro, you can get a free copy of the Game Creator without the color, sprite, tilemap, sound and music editors.
Pixel Vision 8 Pro is currently still in development and offered as part of a paid early access program. If you want access to the early alpha builds, simply pay for the pro features. If you buy the pro tools and early access now, you will still to get updates and new, pro, only features after the free version is released.
Pixel Vision 8 Pro is currently still in active development. Here are some of the recent changes that were made to it:
This is an untested build of the Game Creator allowing developers to test out early features going into v0.8.0a. Make sure to backup your workspace before using. For this update, you should create an entirely new Workspace folder. Find the default location and remove the old bios and core workspace, then start up v0.7.9 to let it recreate the workspace from scratch.
- Added support for exporting loops as wav files from the Music Editor. Loops are saved to the /Sandbox/Loops/ folder in your workspace.
- Fixed issues with Sprite Builder crashing when generating sb-sprites.lua file.
- Added support for changing sound effect wave type in the sound’s settings tab.
- Fixed wrapping issues when sprites would shift one pixel up as the appeared on the left side of the screen.
- Added a new experimental Canvas class to help with creating pixel data on the fly including drawing primitives: pen, lines, boxes and circles. Also supports fill.
- Two new demos: Canvas demo to show off the new drawing API and a Screen Wrap Demo to show off how sprites wrap around the screen.
- You can now delete files in the Workspace Explorer Game and Sandbox folder by selecting the file and pressing Delete on the keyboard.
- Updated documentation covering all of the new APIs, Enums and Tools.
- Fixed copy path button when modifying the Workspace path.
- Music tool now saves music generator settings when exiting the tool. Settings will be cleared if you start editing a new project.
- There were over 42 issues resolved in this build. You can track all of the open issues on the Github issue page and file any bugs you see there as well.
- Restoring files from the trash has been disabled.
- You can now keep folders in your workspace instead of .pv8 zip files. This features is experimental and may not work as expected.
|Published||Sep 05, 2016|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Author||Pixel Vision 8|
|Tags||2D, 8-bit, fantasy-console, Game engine, Pixel Art, pixel-vision-8, pv8, sprites, Tilemap based tools|
|Mentions||Your field guide to fantasy consoles, Get ready for Ludum Dare: Game developme...|
In order to download this Fantasy Game Console you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $11.24 USD. You will get access to the following files: