Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator
A downloadable Fantasy Game Console for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Pick a system, code in Lua and use built-in tools to make your own games!
Pixel Vision 8's core philosophy is to teach retro game development with streamlined workflows. It enables designing games around limited resolutions, colors, sprites, sound and memory. It is ideal for game jams, prototyping ideas or having fun.
The Game Creator is a full development environment for authoring 8-bit games and is built on top of the open source Pixel Vision SDK framework. It contains project management, asset creation, and coding/debugging tools. This all in one solution enables complete end to end development allowing anyone to create desktop games, share them and even build custom tools.
Free Features (Coming Soon)
Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator is offered for free and supports the following features:
- Supports loading, playing and editing of .pv8 (Games), .pvs (System Templates) and .pvt (Tools) files.
- Create games in Lua with an easy to learn API optimized for tile based games.
- Open workflow, allowing you to edit game code (Lua), art (png) or system limits (JSON) with any external editor.
- Build tools for PV8 to fit your workflow and needs.
- Easily share games with others as .pv8 (.zip) files.
Pro Features (Paid Early Access)
To fully unlock the Game Creator's potential, you can purchase the pro bundle. Here's what you receive:
- Fully featured color editor. Preview your project's colors, modify them and save them to an external png.
- Sprite preview and edit tool allow you to see the sprites stored in memory and modify them. You can also compress existing sprites into an external .png.
- SFX generator for making your own sound effects in game projects. You'll have access to templates for different sound effects with manual SFX property customization coming soon.
- More tools on the way! Be the first to use the new tile map editor and music generator.
Pixel Vision 8 is currently still in development and offered as part of a paid early access program. If you want access to the early alpha builds, simply pay for the pro features. The free version of PV8 will be released to the general public once it reaches beta in fall 2017. If you buy the pro tools and early access now, you will still to get updates and new, pro, only features after the free version is released.
Pixel Vision 8 is currently still in active development. Here are some of the recent changes that were made to it:
V0.7.4 Alpha - Experimental
This is an untested build of the Game Creator allowing developers to test out early features going into v0.8.0a. Make sure to back up your workspace before using. For this update, you should create an entirely new Workspace folder. Find the default location and remove the old bios and core workspace, then start up v0.7.4 to let it recreate the workspace from scratch.
- All runners have been moved out of the core application folder and can now be installed manually in the workspace.
- Fixed issue with HTML5 runner where it would throw out of memory error.
- Export will now work only for runners that are installed and grey out when a supported runner can’t be found.
- Fixed issues that would crash the Game Creator when trying to escape out of the loader or when reloading a tool that threw an error.
- Sound has now been fixed and will correctly load and set based on the bios value.
- Mute has also been fixed to restore the correct sound volume even after restarting the Game Creator.
- File picker action buttons now show roll over help and contextual help when they need to be pressed two times in order to perform an action.
- Modified the Action Bar UI component to directly support double click action. All tools that use the component have been updated.
- Save tool is now using the new Action Bar UI component. You will get contextual button actions based on the state of the tool’s data and buttons will be disabled when they can not be used.
- Changed save tool’s “Save” button to “Update” to make it clearer what the action will do after changing data in the tool.
- Fixed a bug where the File Picker filter tabs would throw an out of bounds error.
- Fixed missing or broken icons on the Save Tool’s file picker.
- While export has been rebuilt from the group up there were still some last minute bugs that couldn't be sorted out before release so there are no runner templates to use. This will be added back in for the next release.
v0.7.3 Alpha - Experimental
- Completely new Workspace API. The entire system has been rebuilt in preparation of v0.8.0.
- System Tool and Demos are now not part of the build. This will help reduce file size. You can download them and manually install only what you want/need. Future builds will automate this.
- Creating a new game will now warn you before overwriting an existing one.
- Creating a new game will automatically archive the existing game and move it into the trash. The trash may be set to delete when exiting the game so check your settings.
- File picker action buttons have been rebuilt. They now disabled when no action can be performed and enable based on the context.
- Import and Launch have been removed from the File Picker and will be added back in a future build.
- All built in tools are now located in the Game Creator’s data/StreamingAssets folder which is different based on the OS it’s running on. This allows tools to be built into the Game Creator itself and makes updating them easier in the future. If you use an existing workspace, you can remove the old .pvt files from the archive folder.
- Fixed Copy and Paste help text in Settings screen for workspace path panel.
- Fixed bug in Sprite Builder that would not create a new sb-sprites.lua file from scratch.
- Fixed scale InvalidCastException which happened after changing the scale and reloading the settings tool.
- Fixed issue with DrawSprites and scrolling along the Y position.
- New bios which is built into the GameCreator and manages core settings. The bios file in the Workspace now overrides any default values. This will make adding new properties to the bios easier in future updates.
- All system tools are now defined in the bios including error messages and more. In future builds you will be able to load in custom tools for specific tasks.
- Escape button now stops a running game and load the last tool. Escape will not reload the game, you’ll need to use Ctrl + 1.
- Fixed issue when drawing tiles outside of the tilemap boundaries. Now the tile will wrap to the opposite side.
- New internal URI system for loading game. There are two root locations, System (built in) and Workspace (user defined) allowing more control over how and where games are loaded from.
- New Load APIs exposed to the global runner. You can call LoadGame(), LoadTool() and EditGame() from global and pass in the Game Creator URI path.
- Workspace/Lib folder is now Workspace/Libs folder. The previous framework UI scripts have been moved into the Game Creator’s system folder and each component is now its own Lua file.
- Fixed Sprite Builder button to only show up when a SpriteBuilder folder exists.
- When archiving a game, all files in the Workspace/Game folder are saved including folder structure. Past versions only saved core files. This now allows you to save all external files associated with your game but are not needed by the Game Creator in a single place. Any files that Game Maker can’t use are ignored and do not count against the file size limitation.
In order to download this Fantasy Game Console you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $11.24 USD. You will get access to the following files: