Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator
A downloadable Fantasy Game Console for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Pick a system, code in Lua and use built-in tools to make your own games!
Pixel Vision 8's core philosophy is to teach retro game development with streamlined workflows. It enables designing games around limited resolutions, colors, sprites, sound and memory. It is ideal for game jams, prototyping ideas or having fun.
The Game Creator is a full development environment for authoring 8-bit games and is built on top of the open source Pixel Vision SDK framework. It contains project management, asset creation, and coding/debugging tools. This all in one solution enables complete end to end development allowing anyone to create desktop games, share them and even build custom tools.
Free Features (Coming Soon)
Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator is offered for free and supports the following features:
- Supports loading, playing and editing of .pv8 (Games), .pvs (System Templates) and .pvt (Tools) files.
- Create games in Lua with an easy to learn API optimized for tile based games.
- Open workflow, allowing you to edit game code (Lua), art (png) or system limits (JSON) with any external editor.
- Build tools for PV8 to fit your workflow and needs.
- Easily share games with others as .pv8 (.zip) files.
Pro Features (Paid Early Access)
To fully unlock the Game Creator's potential, you can purchase the pro bundle. Here's what you receive:
- Fully featured color editor. Preview your project's colors, modify them and save them to an external png.
- Sprite preview and edit tool allow you to see the sprites stored in memory and modify them. You can also compress existing sprites into an external .png.
- SFX generator for making your own sound effects in game projects. You'll have access to templates for different sound effects with manual SFX property customization coming soon.
- More tools on the way. Be the first to use the new tile map editor and music generator.
Pixel Vision 8 is currently still in development and offered as part of a paid early access program. If you want access to the early alpha builds, simply pay for the pro features. The free version of PV8 will be released to the general public once it reaches beta in spring 2017. If you buy the pro tools and early access now, you will still to get updates and new, pro, only features after the free version is released.
Pixel Vision 8 is currently still in active development. Here are some of the recent changes that were made to it:
- Fixed the save button, so it shows up correctly in the toolbar
- Fixed the music tool so you can generate loops on games with 3 or fewer tracks (which was throwing an array out of index error before).
- Fixed color importer to now treats transparent colors in .pngs as the default PV8 transparency mask color (#FF00FF). You will notice this fix when previewing some color.png files in the Display Tool.
- Fixed the last used tool to work how it should. Now if you go from the editor to the game and back you should automatically load the last used tool.
- Optimized the Tilemap Tool's sprites. While this tool is still a WIP, I have been trying to optimize how it loads tiles to speed that up a bit.
- Deprecating editorBridge:LoadLib() which will be removed in v0.7.0a. Use apiBridge:LoadLib() instead. Now any game can load an external library file from the Game folder or the Workspace's Lib folder.
- Updated the Setting Tool. It now disables the game name if none exists. Also the workspace path area is larger and there is now a dedicated volume/mute button.
- Fix to the Tilemap Tool to display the correct scroll y value.
- All new system templates which display basic instructions on how to modify a new game file.
- Rebuilt pre-loader logic to now display percentage and break up loading over steps.
- Optimized tools to load faster based on new pre-loader logic.
- All new boot screeen.
- Added help messages to all of the tool's UI.
- Added support to display line numvers for script errors.
- Cleaned up Debugger Tool to now show icons based on event type.
- Sprite Tool (pro only) now shows the sprites instead of fonts and other dynamically generated artwork.
- Sprite Tool (pro only) now supports exporting, reverting and clearing sprites.
- Color Tool (pro only) now supports exporting, reverting and clearing colors.
- Fixed issues where changing colors in the Color Tool cleared the display and wouldn't show changes.
- New tilemap preview tool (pro only).
- Bug fixes and optimizations.
- Cleaned up installer files and updated for v0.6.1a.
- Created new Windows installers for free and pro executables.
- All new file browser and system config tools.
- New controller mapping tool.
- New pro-tools for editing colors, sprites, sound effects and music.
- Optimized rendered for better performance.
- New API method calls for drawing sprites, text and more.
- New editor bridges for colors, sprite, sound effects and music.
- Bug fixes
- New demo games showing off the controller input, drawing sprites, displaying a mouse and playing back sound and music.
- All errors are now displayed in a custom error screen.
- New debug tool for display the game's log.txt file when running the engine.
In order to download this Fantasy Game Console you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $10.00 USD. You will get access to the following files: